Friday, February 22, 2008

Policy Paper overview

Since my topic is animal testing, the law that I am trying to pass for my policy paper bans most testing on chimpanzees. Because chimps are so similar to humans, I am trying to make an arguement that it is even more crutial to ban animal testing on chimps than it would be for say example rats. Although I believe that animal testing in general is cruel, I had to narrow down my idea to make a complex law for my policy paper.

Studies have been done researching and dealing with chimpanzees, and in one of my recent blogs, I posted a link dealing with a scientist who actually taught a chimp sign language, and the scientist was actually able to "communicate" with the chimp. Examples like this are prime moral reasons why testing on chimps should be banned. Most people are in agreement that testing medicines and drugs on humans before they are approved or found to be safe is unlawful, so if chimpanzees are almost exactly genetically similar, and are also capable of "communicating" with us, how is it moral or lawful to test medicines and drugs on chimps?

After my meeting with Robson yesterday, I am very excited to restart my policy paper with new information. I am also looking forward to finding interesting research for the background of my policy which I will be able to use to back up my actual law that I am attempting to enfore. The main area that I am worried about in my paper is my ability to cover all of the areas necessary for the policy paper, and to still present a strong case nonetheless.

No comments: